Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lalomanu Beach

This island off shore from Lanomanu was an old Leper colony.

One of the best known beaches in Western Samoa is Lalomanu. It is also one of the most densely built up beaches with cheap beach fale accomodations. If you want a beach front accomodation for a mere forty tala and don't mind sleeping on woven mats and fighting off mosquitos-this is the place for you!

Luckily, our resort Seabreeze was just a short drive down the road. I think the crowded accomodations is just a breeding ground for dengue. Not that I can prove this but it just stands to reason. Plus I enjoy sleeping off the floor. But I'm old what can I say.

The beach and reef here offers some of the best snorkeling and swimming around. It does come with Samoa's own form of adventure with ava's (rip tides) and strong currents, but with fins on, strong swimming skills and knowing where the avas are you can have a great time.

I actually saw my first turtle in Samoa there. Yes I'm leaving after two years and this is my first turtle. I have been extremely unlucky in this department-other people see turtles all the time. It was a nice parting gift.

Here are some lovely photos from snorkeling:


1 comment:

The Brown's said...

Yeah!!! You saw a turtle!