Friday, January 2, 2009

A few things: L&D

A Few Things I'm Going to Miss (some of you will have no idea what I'm referring to herein-that's ok)
  • Zero Epidural Rate
  • Women who can push out a baby in one or two pushes and who think a long push is over 15 minutes.
  • Women who want to walk and move around in labor and are surrounded by female family members that think birth is natural and not scary.
  • Fast labors
  • Women who want to go home in early labor
  • Women who labor at home until things are really cooking.
  • The hard working and under appreciated nurses (somethings are the same no matter WHERE you are)
  • An understanding of what a midwife is WITHOUT having to explain it.
  • A preference for midwives as birth attendent


A Few Things I'm Not Going to Miss:
  • Putting my foot into my shoe in the middle of night to feel a cockroach (a large one) squirming around in there. (Insert high pitched scream and shoe flying across the room).
  • Sleeping in the linen closet on a gurney.
  • Routine episiotomies (by OTHER practitioners)
  • Latex gloves that are moldy and disintegrate as soon as I put them on.
  • Lack of systematic health care
  • Going to the "delivery room"
  • Lack of adherence to Universal Precautions (gross and scary)
  • Chromic suture as the only suture
  • The lack of a neonatal crash team (hmmm I think there is a name for this but I've been without one for so long...it's like some sweet memory) Good thing bad babies are so few and far between.
  • Lack of urgency when a crash csection is called.
  • 20 minute Decision to Incision Protocol
  • Women who refuse induction when they are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY overdue.
  • Babies going straight to the nursery because there is not enough staff to monitor babies during transition.
  • Lack of position changes for delivery.
  • No IUPCs

5 comments:

Cyborg Togglebolt said...

Holy crap, Liz! Is that *your* hand underneath that cockroach? And I thought Atlanta roaches were bad!

Elizabeth said...

Sorry that is NOT a photo of a cockroach from Samoa. It's some random photo I found on the internet of the biggest freakin' roach I could find. It's symbolic because they can seem that big.

Amber Letuli said...

I happened to stumble upon your blog today, and your list of things that you will not forget and all sounds just like mine from 10 years ago. I was the manager of the maternity ward there for a year in 1997 and had 2 of my 4 children there. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
Amber Letuli

Anonymous said...

aha! i just returned to seattle from a holiday back home (both samoas for me). always interesting to see what on-island health care providers think of the atrocious public health management (my opinion) on the territory. nice blog. great takes. good luck in ptown!

The Brown's said...

That is a Madagascar hissing cockroach. They are actually quite friendly, relative to the standard gross American roach we have here. They are actually sold quite commonly in the states in pet stores.
-Paul