Monday, March 31, 2008

Should I Be Worried? or Life in the Geekosphere

Ok, granted, I knew what I was getting myself into by hooking up with a computer geek.

Long rambling one-sided (and yet perversely passionate) discussions peppered with inscrutable acronyms: SPS, BOINC, TSP.
Nights aglow with the blue screens of multiple computers.
A partner jacked into the BORG more often than not.
Obsessive behavior aimed at inanimate electrical objects.
Awful spelling (worse than mine).
A general disinterest in words printed on paper products.

But this?
I found Markus laughing hysterically at this comic not too long ago:
Entitled:
Travelling Salesman Problem
(and yes it was spelled like that)












Now I know it has something to do with this idea of a Traveling Sales Man figuring out his routes. And Markus' project that's trying to solve it. However, I can tell that this is not a comic worthy of five minutes of rolling on the floor laughing and chat dialog including ROTFL.

Then maybe a day or so later Markus says, "Hey! Do you know what day we missed?"
To which I reply, "Valentines, Easter, St. Patrick's Day?"
Blank look, followed by wide smile, "No! Pi-Day!"
Yes, Pi = 3.1415926535.. Day. Which of course was March 14!
"And what do you do on Pi day," I ask?
"Eat Pie, I guess!" he says.
Hmm, maybe it IS a celebration I can get behind after all. Except I have a sneaking suspicion that I would be the one making the pie.

1 comment:

Joe said...

You see it's funny because the salesman is deriving the optimal route based on... oh never mind!!!

Leave us geeks alone and go back to your "feelings" and... "talking to actual people" and having "friends"...

Now I feel sad.