Saturday, December 1, 2007

If You Aren't Pissed . . .

Then You Aren't Paying Attention

Here's a little political soapboxing for you. Something I rarely do, but right now, having watched this movie. I have to say I am pissed.

I would like every single one of you out there to stop reading my blog and run out and rent this movie, or at least put in your Netflix que. If you are in AmSam it's available at both Video Plazas.

No really stop reading my blog! Go watch No End in Sight! And then go to their website and read some more.
I feel this movie is not just some liberal propaganda movie about the war. We are talking major figures (Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage, Ambassador Barbara Bodine (in charge of Baghdad during the Spring of 2003), Lawrence Wilkerson, former Chief of Staff to Colin Powell, and General Jay Garner (in charge of the occupation of Iraq through May 2003), speaking for themselves and discussing the horrible planning for postwar Iraq and why we are STILL THERE and why as the movies says, there is no end in sight. A masterful work, really. Please check it out. Not about "not supporting our Troops" but about supporting them by getting them out of a situation that a bunch of ignoramuses got them into. Or at least understanding why they are still there.

And what, you might ask, does this have to do with American Samoa?
I'll tell you what . . .

American Samoa has the most military casualties per capita (this is a calculation to make a small place like AmSam-57663 compare with a big place like Cali-36 million) The actual number is 5 (as of the source on StateMaster which is 2006 data-it's higher now, they just buried another soldier last week) but in a place with a 50,000 population it's too many.

And though the U.S. Nationals in American Samoa can not even vote to get the Chimp out of office, they sign up in large numbers to defend us.
American Samoa is 6th per capita in recruits of all military forces.

I'm not even sure I can say U.S. out of Iraq anymore after this movie, as we created such a mess, we need to stay and clean it up-if indeed it's possible. I just wish so many lives weren't at stake to clean up the avoidable (and that's what really hurts) mess our awful "leaders" created.

1 comment:

Miss Melodius said...

I saw author Dahr Jamail, an independent journalist who went to Iraq without support, at a book-signing event. He said where the British troops have pulled out, there is relative peace and the tribes and villages have gone back to their lives and reconstruction as best they can. This is part of the "It's better now" that coincided with the surge. I found him facsinating and calm considering what he has seen. You might google him and see what he says. I still say "US out of Iraq" and also admire the young AmSams' patriotism. I try to keep up on SamoaNews. Thanks for the post, I'm pissed too.