Sunday, March 11, 2007

Straying in American Samoa

One of the first things I noticed about American Samoa was the horrible stray dog problem. The island is shamefully over run with strays. They aren’t aggressive and in fact are so abused they shy away from strangers to the point where they won’t let you help them if they are injured.

The first week I was here I was caught in a rainstorm and had to take shelter in a museum. When I came out the fale in front of the building was filled with dogs. There wasn’t one square inch that wasn’t covered by canine. The strays are starving, injured and often have infections and cancers.

The pet dogs are often not treated much better. They are usually underfed and watered; forcing the dogs to wander and become strays. There are some well cared for animals but they are in the minority.

The island does not have any private veterinarians. I think it would be fiscally impossible to have a private practice on the island. There is a veterinarian that is hired by the Department of Agriculture who’s job it is to oversee agricultural animals (pigs). Apparently in an emergency he will see pets and I think he will do some spay and neuter surgeries.


There is a government task force for strays, this seems to take the form of mass euthanasia. I think a periodic round up is done, especially before large tourist events. The dogs in downtown Pago that I saw when I first got here, magically disappeared when a giant ocean liner was due in town.
There is a Humane Society run by an amazing group of dedicated individuals. The organization, headed by Director Cheryl Morales, has brought in a group out of (yes our very own) Portland, Oregon (with vets from all over the U.S.). The group is Vet Ventures. It is a free clinic that for the past two years has come for three weeks to spay/neuter and give medical consults.





These guys are awesome. Anywhere from 40-70 animals are seen a day! They have a traveling group that goes to the outlying villages and a stationary clinic in central Pago. They aren’t charging a penny, they brought all their own supplies; and are providing flea, tick, and deworming for all the animals they see.












I have been volunteering with them on my days off in the recovery Dog Pile (I even have a mention in one of their blogs for taking down a ferocious feline named "Pretty", mmm, "Pretty Crazy" was my impression). They are here for such a short time I feel like I have to do whatever I can to help them while the opportunity presents itself.












The business community is in full support of this cause. Sadies by the Sea donated free rooms to all the vets! Their food is being supplied free from different restaurants. It’s nice to see the support. I think if the means to care for pets existed on the island the people and community would take advantage of it.

Vet Ventures has it’s own website and the vets are blogging about their time here if you are interested. Adventures in Pago Pago Blog and PAWS Saipan Blog1 and PAWS Saipan Blog2.







Unfortunately, this is the last year that Vet Ventures will come here. They will go to other Polynesian islands in the following years. What the island will do in the future is unknown. The hope is to find a vet that would come for a working vacation and would volunteer time here in exchange for free accommodations. Apparently, this model has worked in the Cook Islands.

If ever there is a cause to support it’s Vet Ventures and the Humane Society (especially the HS of American Samoa that can make such a huge impact, for so little money).







Here is a dog’s prayer shared by my new friend Shannon up in Canada:

Treat me kindly, my beloved master for no heart in the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me. Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear. When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements.

And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god, and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may be well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

This was found in a special supplement to Dr. Julian Whitaker's Health & Healing newsletter

Next Week: Hop on The Bus, Gus!

No comments: